West Singhbhum is one of the oldest district of Jharkhand. After the British conquest of Kolhan in 1837, a new district was consequently constituted to be known as Singhbhum with Chaibasa as it’s Headquarter. Subsequently three Districts namely East Singhbhum, West Singhbhum and Saraikela- Kharsawan have been carved out of erstwhile Singhbhum District with Chaibasa as the headquarter of West Singhbhum.
West Singhbhum District forms the Southern part of the newly created Jharkhand State and is the largest district in the State. The district spread over 210 58′ & 230 36′ North latitude and 850 0′ & 86054′ East Longitude. The district is situated at a height of 244 Meter above the sea level and has an area of 5290.89 Sq. Kilometers. The district is bounded on the North by the district of Khunti , on the East by Saraikela-Kharsawan district, on the South by Keonjhar, Mayurbhanj and Sundargarh districts of Orissa and on the West by the district of Simdega and Sundargarh (in Orissa). The district is full of hills alternating with valleys, steep mountains and deep forests on the mountain slopes. The majority of the population of West Singhbhum district is tribal population.